There has been a town band in existence since the beginning of the 20th Century. It was initially run by local businessmen including Herbert Sworder and A. Boardman.
The band played mostly military music and band members were paid per engagement, sharing 55% of the fees. The Bandmaster was awarded an annual salary of £70 p.a. sometime shortly after 1911.
The current band is a successor to the British Legion Band which was formed in 1932. It was regarded as a good band which won awards at contests.
The above information is taken from an interview with Joseph H Lungley in 1989.